Centre Point, star of ABC's All of My Heart, 1982

All of My Heart, the 1982 single from ABC, is one my absolute favourite songs. The early 80s New Pop era contains many wonders, but this ballad is an epic, gorgeously realised standout. There's a lot going on. Martin Fry's heat-of-the-moment broken-hearted lyrics, his thrilling vocal performance, and the thundering synth and orchestral roar that accompanies him.

Martin Fry ABC All of My Heart video 1982


One thing I don't remember from the time, though, is the video, and more particularly the extended cutaway to a timelapse film of Centre Point, the 1960s Richard Seifert landmark at St Giles in London. We see it first at night, and then as the sun rises the light glints on the glass and casts shadows across the concrete. It accompanies one of the most soulful moments in the song, as it gathers itself for the final onslaught. Who directed this video and why they inserted this lovely timelapse film in is a mystery to me, but if you know, do let me know!


Centre Point Richard Seifert 1982

Richard Seifert and Martin Fry, together at last. Now there's some slash fiction.

Comments

  1. Not concrete at all but you really must watch "Mantrap", ABCs film that looks a little like an A Level project.

    Do your best, Martin, just do your best.

    ABC Mantrap: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7D3E38EB6F74E32

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! What a gem! Thank you! So, did Temple direct All of My Heart, then, I wonder?

      Delete
    2. hi john. delighted to see your tweet / blog entry. i am a follower on twitter & love your excellent blog (proud owner of concretopia too).I am also mark white co founder of ABC so can reliably inform you that the video was directed by duffy (who took the famous alladin sane cover shots).Keep up the excellent work! on twitter as @vvanthology.
      cheers
      mark x

      Delete
    3. Wow! Well, that was a more authoritative source than I was expecting! Thank you Mark. Ridiculously chuffed to hear you have the book, to be honest. x

      Delete
    4. Wow indeed what an honour! Would it be too niche to have an ABC fan/Modernist architecture blog?

      And, Mark, if you're reading: I keep coming back to ABC one if the very few bands that oozed consistent quality and class. Wonderful.

      Delete
    5. Perhaps the blog could be called "Skyscraping".

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts