Jon-Marc Creaney's amazing architectural photographs

In November 2011 young Scottish architect Jon-Marc Creaney passed away from cancer. There were many wonderful tributes posted online from people who knew him, but I couldn't claim more than a passing acquaintance, developed through a shared fascination with Cumbernauld and its megastructure. We never met – I'd only come to know him after befriending him on Twitter. Even so, he'd been generous enough to send me a copy of the thesis he'd written on the town when he heard I was there interviewing some of the original designers.

One thing that keeps making me think of Jon-Marc is the extraordinary archive of his photos on Flickr. There's a quality to those images that keeps drawing me back, a magnificent sense of elemental forces at work. His photos of Cardross Seminary are incredible - luminous and post-apocalyptic. He made Red Road look enchanted (or haunted), and Aberdeen University's library appear lighter than air.

The partial demolition of Red Road took me back to his peerless photographs of the towers, now suffused more than ever with feelings off loss. It's clear that he saw things with an incredible intensity. Sharing his brilliant photographs seems a fitting tribute.


Comments

  1. I just came across your blog post today and wanted to say thank you for the lovely words about Jon-Marc. I'm Jon-Marc's sister and think he has left us an incredible legacy with these photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts