Concrete events

Town centre and carpet mills, Halifax, West Yorkshire ©Edwin Smith / RIBA Library Photographs Collection
So, I have a couple of events in London lined up for autumn 14.

Bookmarks Bookshop, Thursday 16th October, 6.30pm

RIBA, Tuesday November 11th, 6.30pm

The Bookmarks Bookshop event is just me and ten buildings that changed Britain in the postwar period. There will be me talking, followed by chat. I love Bookmarks, it's round the corner from where I work and like a lot of indies they have been massively supportive of Concretopia. It should be a fun event, and I'll try to bring the buildings and their stories to life.

The second event, at The RIBA (always to be said theatrically, like 'The RADA'), is a rather grand affair. I'm one of several speakers, including David Kynaston and Richard Davenport-Hines. I'm a massive fan of both of them. Actually, I'm terrified. Firstly, it's at The RIBA. Secondly, Kynaston's Tales of the New Jerusalem histories are probably my favourite series of history books of all time. And thirdly, Davenport-Hines's An English Affair, about that Profumo crisis moment in British history, is so good it's hard to write a sentence afterwards.

I'm obviously the junior support act. Having lots of moments where I think 'but what if I get into a shouty-type fight with David Kynaston and he punches me up the bracket right there in The RIBA?' I hope they're nice. I hope I'm nice. I hope it's all nice. Nice. The theme of this second event is social and urban change, 1945–65. I have fifteen minutes on architecture, and then it's over to the grown-ups.

So, anyway. If you're free and fancy it, please come to one (or both! imagine that!) of these events. I'm really looking forward to them, in a tingly-scared kinda way. 

Comments

Popular Posts